Sunday, March 13, 2011

Skillet Macaroni and Cheese

I have yet to find someone who loves Macaroni and Cheese as much as I do. I grew up on the stuff, literally. But I have to say that I am a macaroni snob. The only boxed macaroni that I like is Kraft and I used to not really care for homemade mac and cheese. As I have gotten older I will gladly admit that my tastes have changed and I prefer the fresh ingredients in my food. To say the least, I think I have found my new favorite Mac and Cheese! It is so delicious and it comes out of my "Southern Living: 40 years of our best recipes" cookbook! Try it out and tell me what you think!

Ingredients:
1/4 c butter
1 small onion, chopped
1TBS all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4tsp dried oregano
8oz elbo noodles, UNCOOKED
2 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 cups milk (can use 3 1/2 cups milk if you don't want it as creamy)
2 cups (8oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
Melt butter in a large skillet (or pan) over medium-high heat; add onion, and saute until tender. Stir in flour, salt and oregano. Cook 1 minute.
Stir macaroni, cream, and milk into skillet. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally. Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts (do not boil).

No comments:

Post a Comment