Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baked Mexican Macaroni

Do you love mac & cheese but are sick of the same ole box of Kraft? Or maybe you are like me and ate mac and cheese too much growing up, but still kind of like it, but just want some change up, some FLAVOR added to your mac & cheese, well if that is the case, you will LOVE this classic spiced up.

I pretty much lived on mac & cheese growing up (5yrs old-20yrs old) so I believe I have finally had my fill of the good ole Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I found this recipe a little over a year ago and it has been one of my favorites because it spices up my old favorite. I hope you enjoy it as much as Jon and I do!

Ingredients:
2 2/3c uncooked penne pasta (or any noodle if you like)
1/4c chopped onion
1/4tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or smashed in garlic press
2c plain yogurt
1 1/2 -2c Mexican-4 cheese blend
2TBS butter
1tsp ground mustard
1/8tsp pepper
2TBS all-purpose flour
4oz Velveta cheese, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
1 1/2 bags garlic butter croutons

Heat oven to 375. Cook/drain pasta, set aside. In 3 quart pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic; cook 5-7 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir in flour. Cook over medium-low heat, until bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt, stirring constantly. Gently stir in cheeses; stir in pasta. Pour into un-greased 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle with croutons, just enough to cover all of pasta mix. ( I have used a full two bags before and it's just too much crunchy.) Bake uncovered about 25 min. or until bubbly.

Then enjoy! I haven't done this yet, but I have always thought a grilled piece of chicken would go great with this meal, so if you are wanting to add meat to your meal and not just have pasta, grill up some chicken and have the pasta on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment